Vocab Board Game
Duration: 5-10 minutes
What you will need:
- Vocab Board Game Template
- Dice or Spinner
- Playing Pieces - Beans, Meeples, Little Plastic Animals
In groups of 2-3, students take turns rolling the die and moving their playing piece around the game board. They need to say each vocabulary word as they go and make a sentence with the final word they land on. If they forget a word, they go back to the beginning.
How to Play:
- Put students in groups of 2-3 students.
- This game is great for after students have become familiar with the words for a unit.
- Students decide who will go first using the die or playing Paper, Scissors, Stone.
- Students take turns rolling the die and moving their playing piece along the squares.
- The student says the vocabulary words for each picture. On the final word, the student has to make a sentence.
- If a student forgets a word, they have to stop there and say the word 5x and play goes to the other student.
- You can define what each roll of the die means: 1 = Go one space; 2 = Get up and do two jumping jacks; 3 = Go three spaces; 4 = Go four spaces; 5 = Go back one space; 6 = Get up and do six jumping jacks.
- Working in small groups means each student gets to say the words or sentences many times. Students aren't waiting around long for their turn.
- The teacher is freed up to go around and work with individual students who might need help.
- Adding in some get-out-of-your-seat and move activities for certain dice rolls means students are getting their blood flowing which helps keep the energy up.
- Students become more fluent with the words, having recalled them from memory so many times.
Have you tried this activity? How did it go? Leave your comments below!