2 Truths and a Lie
Duration: 10 minutes
Type: Small Groups
- Practice asking and answering a set of conversation questions with the students.
- After they have the idea, all students write answers to 2 conversation questions truthfully and lie in answer to 1 conversation question.
- In small groups of 3-4, students take turns asking 1 particular student the conversation questions. The student answering questions tries not to let on which answer is a lie while the other students try to keep asking questions in order to figure out which answer is a lie.
- After everyone is finished asking questions, everyone writes down which question they believe is a lie. The students who guess correctly get a point.
- Optional: if everyone guesses correctly, the person answering questions loses a point, but if some people guess wrong, then the person answering gets a point.
- Then the next student goes.
- This activity keeps students engaged in asking and answering questions using target conversations.
- All students are participating when the groups are small.
Have you tried this activity? How did it go? Leave your comments below!
- 2nd Grade ESL Teaching Curriculum Guide and Resources
- 4th Grade ESL Teaching Curriculum Guide and Resources
- LDI – Listen Discuss Identify – ESL Vocabulary Activity
- 3rd Grade ESL Teaching Curriculum Guide and Resources
- How to Scaffold Grade-Level Instruction for ELLs
- Make Grade-Level Texts Fall-Out-of-Your-Seat Funny and Memorable for ELLs