Interested in supplementing or replacing your income by teaching English online?
There are a lot of options open to you.
I’m going to…
- provide some clarity on your options
- tell you which one I believe is best
- and provide you with the tools to get started
Let’s dive right in…
There are 3 main categories for you to consider when you’re planning on starting teaching English online.
- Work for a Company
- Join a Freelance Platform
- Start Your Own Business
Teach English Online with a Company
There are some great companies out there with whom you can find a job teaching English online. Here are a few of the best options if you’d like to hire on with a company:
- VIP Kid
- Magic Ears
The benefits to joining an established company are…
- You can start making money fairly quickly
- You don’t have to find students yourself
- You can usually decide what hours you want to teach
- A curriculum is usually provided
- You don’t need to be as concerned with language barriers since the company takes care of most communication
The drawbacks to joining a company are…
- You often lose the flexibility to teach what you think is best for a student
- Your relationship with students and their families is usually fairly restricted
- If the company decides not to give you hours, you are left with nothing
- There is often a lot of silly busy work, internal politics, suspicion and frustration
- The company is taking a large cut of what they are charging the parents for lessons
Teach English Online by Joining a Freelance Platform
There are also platforms that you can join that will connect you with students, but give you the freedom to teach when and how you want.
Here are a few examples of online platforms you can join:
- Amazing Talker
The benefits to joining a platform like this are:
- You can find students more easily
- You can teach when and how you want
The drawbacks to joining a platform like this are:
- They take a large chunk of the money you make, usually between 15-30% or more.
- They do not provide a curriculum to teach from
- You do not own your business so you are subject to sudden rule changes or account closures at the discretion of the platform
- Competition on the platform can cause the price to be pushed down
Teach English Online by Starting Your Own Business
The tools online in this day and age make starting your own online business easy.
The benefits of starting your own business:
- Complete freedom to teach however you like
- You own the business and no one can take it from you
- You can build more meaningful, long-term relationships with students and their families
- You benefit directly when students or their parents recommend you
- You can charge a lot more per hour and keep what you make
- No internal politics. No rule changes. No silly busywork.
The drawbacks of starting your own business:
- Finding students at first can be challenging
- Setting up a website, payment processing as well as other various tools
- Need to find or design a curriculum
Which Way of Teaching English Online Is Best?
I honestly believe the absolute best way to teach English online is to start your own business.
It takes a little more work up front, but the long-term benefits far outweigh the challenges.
Invest the time now, and you’ll thank yourself later.
As an entrepreneur myself, I know the challenges well. I’ve started multiple businesses, both online and brick and mortar.
That is why I decided to create a platform to help you start your own online English teaching business without all of the headaches, time and expense.
If you’re interested in:
- Making a Lot More Per Hour
- Job Security
- Keeping What You Make
Resources to Start Your Own Meaningful Business Teaching English Online
Here are some resources that can help you get started creating your own meaningful business:
- Checklist for Starting Your Own Online Teaching Business ->
- The Independent Teachers Facebook Group ->
- The Independent Teachers Membership ->
The Independent Teachers Membership
Join today to get everything you need to start a successful online teaching business.